Full Time, one-year contract of employment, with possibility of renewal.
EMBRC-ERIC Headquarters, 4 Place Jussieu, Paris, France, c/o Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6.
Brief Description of the EMBRC
The European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC) is a distributed pan-European research infrastructure that aims to provide a strategic delivery mechanism for excellent and large-scale marine science in Europe. With its services, EMBRC will support both fundamental and applied research based on marine bioresources and marine ecosystems. The EMBRC is centrally managed by the EMBRC Executive Director, with the support of the EMBRC Secretariat, based at the Paris Headquarters, hosted by Université Pierre et Marie Curie - Paris VI, Campus of Jussieu. The working language is English; knowledge of French will be advantageous. For further information:
- the EMBRC Business Plan (v1.0) is available at: http://bit.ly/1XT2o9
- the EMBRC website: http://www.embrc.eu
Job Mission and Objectives
EMBRC is looking for a motivated and proficient Scientific and Technical Communication Officer to support and amplify our development potential through effective communication, social relations and reporting. The policy level will be a main audience of our communication objectives, including extensive and factual reporting activities. Articles will need to be produced to animate our social media channels, or events, telling the achievement realised by our scientific community, to a broader community of scientist and policy makers. The creation of original and structured content to adequately describe the EMBRC-ERIC activities, our achievements and our general organisational status will be a main activity.
Main responsibilities include:
- Prepare original messages, based on available documents, to be included in communication material such as printed brochures, audio-visual material or other forms of communication material representing EMBRC-ERIC, including social media channels, and addressing a variety of audiences, including policy, science, industry and the general public;
- Represent EMBRC-ERIC in scientific seminars, workshops and conferences, and multiply our user community engagement;
- Follow the projects in which EMBRC is involved in, preparing information and reports as required, traveling to project meeting, and supporting the development of project-actions;
- Support the Executive Director in the creation of reports on EMBRC-ERIC status responding to policy agency requests (among others: EU Commission, ESFRI Committee, OECD), and other material to represent EMBRC in conferences and symposia.
- In coordination with the Secretariat, organise outreach activities, including scientific, policy, industry and general public audiences;
- Other tasks related to the EMBRC mission.
Essential Skills and Competences
- Minimum qualification: Ph.D. in Natural/Biology/Life Sciences or equivalent;
- Minimum two-year experience in similar role;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Ability to read and summarise articles/reports of technical, scientific, and administrative nature;
- Excellent presentation and reporting skills, in writing and verbally;
- Excellent computer literacy, including command of MS Office package and ability to operate on multiple platforms (Apple and Windows operating systems);
- Proven experience in the publication of communication material of high quality;
- Command of Image processing software (i.e.: Adobe Illustrator; Photoshop, others);
- Data analysis skills for analytical reports;
Desirable Skills and Competences
- Excellent English;
- Knowledge of publishing software programmes;
- Graphic skills;
- IT skills (database management, website content management, programming languages);
- French language and other EU languages, in addition to English;
- Knowledge of EMBRC;
Special Personal Attributes Required for the Position
- Accountable and responsive, with a natural disposition towards the others;
- Accustomed to a multi-cultural environment, and to working with a high-degree of transparency and in close interaction with colleagues;
- Able to work towards precise objectives under specific time constraints;
- Clear and able to produce high-quality output;
- Excellent organizational skills, including own work as well as the work of others;
- High-standard work ethics.
Competitive salary, commensurate to titles and experience.
Full-time, one-year contract, with 3-month probation;
Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines;
National and international travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with project partners, stakeholders, etc.
Prepare your application as one single PDF document, in English, containing a copy of your CV and the name of three references, with a cover letter explaining your interest in this position and how you could contribute. Enclose this document in an email message, with subject: “EMBRC ST Officer”; addressed to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Applications will be accepted until the 31st of March. The position will start on June 1st, 2017.